Find The Best Dirt Bike & Motocross Helmets 2018 – The Ultimate Guide
Do you love to enjoy the thrill of riding the dirt bikes? It surely a fun activity and when you are enthusiastic enough to ride a dirt bike to be a champ, you need to stay safe. Cleanliness is definitely not a matter of concern when you are playing a “Dirt” game specifically.
But safety and easy usage comes could be considered as two of the most important things that should be kept in mind for sure. So, when you are buying your safety gear to ride your dirt bike, buying the best dirt bike helmets should be your first priority. But it is not as easy as it seems to be, and you must be looking for the most appropriate helmet that gives you an easy and safe ride and also helps in maintaining the cleanliness after its use.
My Picks For Best Dirt Bike & Motocross Helmets - The Comparison Table
* Click on the Best Dirt Bike & Motocross Helmets Brands for more information, prices and details. Alternatively, scroll down below to read our overview.
- How To Choose The Best Dirt Bike Helmets?
- What Is The Women’s Dirt Bike Helmet?
- What Is The Youth Dirt Bike Helmet, Which Things Are Important?
- What Is The Kid’s Dirt Bike Helmet?
- Additional Features And Accessories You Can Find Easily In The Market For Helmets
- Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Dirt Bike Helmets
- Our Picks Best Dirt Bike And Motocross Helmet Reviews
- Dirt Bike Helmet Maintenance Issues And Tips
How To Choose The Best Dirt Bike Helmets?
Dirt bike helmets for the game are probably the most important gear. This is more of a technical thing to do, rather than doing a cosmetic analysis of a product. The following points would help you in choosing the most apt dirt bike helmet for you:
- Construction – This is a critical feature due to safety and comfort of the rider. The majority of the helmets you will find are made from a fiberglass composite, polycarbonate and carbon fiber etc.
- Weight – The typical weight range for such helmets I 1400 – 1800 grams. The suitability of the weight depends that, a particular helmet fits well over the head of the rider. Further, the weight should also be distributed over the head of the rider in a very evenly manner.
- Styling – Cosmetics are important too where the wild graphics ones are the most preferable. If that’s not your type then there is also the option of the subtle helmets with many plain looks. It should be noted that the ones with graphics are more costly.
- Budget – Determine your budget and you can find a very basic one for a few bucks and the top of the line products could cost several hundred $$$.
What Is The Women’s Dirt Bike Helmet?
What Is The Youth Dirt Bike Helmet, Which Things Are Important?
Youth are considered as the most enthusiastic and the most energetic lot that is interested in sport and fun related activities. Some of the extreme sports like dirt bikes have a lot of participation from the youth where the safety precautions are a lot important because of the injury risk associated. The helmet is the most important gear for the youth which not only provides protection but has also becomes a symbol of style and elegance amongst the mentioned group of people. The following points would elaborate that what a youth dirt bike would look like:
What Is The Kid’s Dirt Bike Helmet?
A kid’s dirt bike helmet is almost the same as an adult’s helmet, only smaller. This small size leads to some other factors which are worth considering. Small size means that they would also be lighter in size and then, they would also cost less as compared to an adult helmet. In order to find out that how a youth or a kid’s dirt bike helmet looks like, the following points should be considered:
Additional Features And Accessories You Can Find Easily In The Market For Helmets
Dirt bike riding is quite a fun thing and one of its aspects is the gear that excites the rider. Helmets for either men, women, youth or kids are the most popular gear which at first place satisfies the safety concerns and then, it also adds to the charm and glamor of the rider. There are plenty of mesmerizing accessories that could be considered to complement the completeness of your head gear. The following are some helmet accessories that you could consider to purchase:
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Dirt Bike Helmets
Buying process of a dirt bike helmet is a very sophisticated process as a number of factors are involved while making the purchase. Things are changing with time and new technology and innovations are also coming in. Therefore, one needs to be fully updated and well aware about the latest trends and features that a modern dirt bike helmet should have. The following are the points that you must consider while buying such a helmet:
- No second-hand stuff – Always prefer to buy a new dirt bike helmet as most of the people with a second-hand helmet tends to compromise with the safety features and the maintenance issues.
- Eye ports – The eye ports of the helmet should be wide enough, which ideally would not limit your vision, especially sideways by any means. If you prefer to wear glasses then make sure that the glasses could pass through the opening easily.
- Safety standards – A safe dirt bike helmet should meet the safety requirements set by DOT, SNELL or ECE22.02. You may also find a helmet with a combination of any of the 3 types mentioned here.
- Budget – The helmets of such kind could be expensive and you need to shop wisely here. The decision could be made by determining your expertise level. The beginner helmets with limited features are inexpensive and the professional ones with multiple features are usually costly.
- Weight – The rule of thumb in the matter of weight is that the lighter the helmet, the better it would be in terms of comfort of the rider.
- Adjustable features – The cheek pads of the helmet are an important part and if they are adjustable, then the rider could have customized comfort.
- Removable features – The liners of the helmet are preferred always to be removable. If they are removable then they could be washed easily, as and when required.
- Read more: Best Modular Motorcycle Helmets
Our Picks Best Dirt Bike And Motocross Helmet Reviews
Arai Tip VX-Pro4 Off-Road Motorcycle Helmet
For the dirt bike helmets, there has to be enough room for your head to stay safe and easy and some of the features that are crucial to being there for the dirt bike riders may include certain aspects that might be absent in regular helmets. This Arai Tip off-road helmet has to offer some of the features that actually cater to the needs of the dirt bike riders.
In addition to the color and design of the helmet that matches the thrilling action of the dirt bike ride, this helmet has some special features to offer the users who need to protect themselves while they are on their go to a dirt filled road.
- Design and shape
- Materials and durability
- The ventilation system
- Additional features
- Standardized features
- Very safe and easy to use
- Very easy to maintain
- Air-through ventilation system keeps it cool
- The chin bar comes with stainless steel grill that is removable, replaceable and washable
- Enough peak to keep the dirt away
Bell Moto-9 Unisex-Adult Off Road Helmet
A lightweight, durable and resistant helmet is no doubt the choice of most of the dirt bike riders. It is, therefore, one of the priorities of the dirt bike riders that they need a safety helmet which is not a hassle to handle. In addition to it, having a perfect design for the riders also matters a lot. This one is specially designed to keep the rider safe from getting dirt on the face and also helps in maintaining a good safety level no matter how rough the rider has to ride on the bike, the helmet comes with all safety features in a convenient way.
- The design and construction
- The ventilation
- The ventilation system
- The emergency setup
- Easy cleaning
- Comfort and usage
This helmet is made of lightweight and durable carbon composite shell that is complimented with the flex energy liner on the inner side. The both inner and out parts of the helmet ensure that the helmet keeps the head safe from possible bumps and shocks with no hazards done to the rider at all.
The ventilation system of the helmet is perfectly designed that features the velocity flow process to ensure the air flows well into the helmet and keep the wearer cool and dry. The flying bridge has air intake vents for better circulation. The chin bar is also very well ventilated.
The chin bar has a stainless steel grill that is washable and easy to remove so if it gets lots of dirt on it, you just need to wash it and put it back for next use.in addition to this, the air through a system that is there on the top side in front vent and at the rear vent also covers the side air ducts and keep the air flow going through it all the time. The whole system is very easy to clean and can be maintained without any issues.
There are a special magnefusion removal system cheek pads that work best for the sake of keeping the wearer safe from possible issues.
The inner liner is removable and washable so when you are back from your dirty ride, just pick it out wash and reset again for next use.
This helmet has an easy to adjust screw system and integrated roost guard that is vented in a perfect manner. The chin strap is padded and has a D like ring closure system for a quick snug fit and easy closure of the helmet.
The best thing is that you get a five years warranty with this fabulous helmet of yours. It also complies with the SNELL, DOT, ECE and AS CERTIFICATION standards.
- The helmet is well-designed with durable and resistant cover.
- It covers the forehead area with sufficient shades and gives enough protection against dirt and debris that are rushed through the front side when participating in a dirt race.
- The removable inner lining is washable and that gives an easy way to keep your helmet clean and tidy.
- Proper venting and comfortable padding gives a luxurious feel
6D Hornet Graphic Men's ATR-1 F18 Dirt Bike Motorcycle Helmet
For a super support system for the dirt bike riders, 6D Hornet helmets have landed on the market with unique 6-dimensional designs for maximum shock proof and safety. There are many features that impress the owner of this helmet and which are discussed below:
- The design and construction
- The ventilation
- Maintenance and use
- The weight and size
- Safety and security
This one is made to match a 6D design so that the rider stays easy and safe when riding on the dirt bike during the dirt race. The shell is made with the aerospace carbon fiber and the composite materials including the glass and Kevlar. The high-end design and the advanced material format makes it a durable helmet that keeps the rider away from getting hurt no matter ruthless the rider has to drive.
The helmet uses Air-Gap technology that creates and excellent ventilation system for keeping the wearer away from sweat and odors. The rear end vent removes the air due to the creation of a low pressure.
It has a washable and removable inner lining so there would be no issues in maintaining the helmet for a long time. It also has the genuine anti-bacterial fabric known as CoolMax to keep the fabric fresh and the wearer stays fresh as well.
It fits snug when bought in the right size. Whereas the Clavicle Cut-Away makes sure that the mass and the weight of the helmet is the least. But this does not compromise on the strength and overall features of the helmet.
The helmet features enough safety measures while having a strong and resistant cover, it also features the sternum pad for chin jaw and cheek protection and the emergency cheek pads for quick release in emergency situations.
Further, the stainless steel screens protect the shell opening and the visor screws are there as well. The helmet comes with a helmet bag and offers a 3-year limited warranty while exceeding the DOT and ECE standards as well.
- It offers a 6d structure for better impact resistance and safety of the user
- The clavicle cuts offer a unique design for lowered weight and increased the durability of the helmet.
- The antibacterial CoolMax fabric keeps the moisture and the bacteria away from getting accumulated inside the helmet.
- Sufficient padding and chin jaw and cheek protection make this a helmet that exceeds top level certification standards including Smell, DOT, and ECE.
Troy Lee Designs Factory Adult SE4
The Troy Lee designs feature carbon factory dirt bike helmet that comes with MIPS that has an incorporated rotational protection and also offers 13 percent more EPS to make sure the head safety is not compromised.
- Safety and protection
- The ventilation system
- The maintenance
The motocross Helmet comes having the MIPS, and that incorporate the rotational protection with 13 percent more EPS for better head safety. So, the MIPS assures the head stays safe. The carbon and Kevlar materials in the composite format provide a strong shell construction whereas the 3 EPS helmet inserts offer low as well as high-speed resistant density variations. In addition to that, the helmet offers the cheek pads having an emergency system for quick and efficient release.
It has 21 venting ports to create a continuous air channel to keep the head cool and fresh and keeps the hot air away from hitting the head directly.
The inserts in the helmet are removable and washable and also come with CoolMax as well as Dri Lex system for moisture control.
Further, the SE4 comes with a plush helmet bag. It also includes two visors, lightweight D rings and brass made inserts to break the impact easily. It exceeds the Snell, DOT, ECE and many certifications that ensure quality and safety with proper designs and supportive structure.
- Strong and resistant cover keep the head safe.
- The helmet comes with a DriLex system and Cool Max inner for keeping the head easy and dry.
- The 21 venting ports keep the air flowing and make sure you stay moisture free all the time.
Shoei Grant 3 VFX-EVO
The Shoei Motocross helmet features the shell design that is lightweight, durable and is impact resistant in many ways. It has got a reasonable peak for dirt protection and also offer snug fit interior for maximum comfort and safety and a well-ventilated system that is perfect to support the dirt bike rider.
- The design and construction
- The ventilation system
- Maintenance and use
- Comfort and fitting
The advanced integrated matrix structure features high-quality fibers and organic fibers as well to offer a shell form that is light in weight and also creates a strong and resistant cover to provide safety and protection and dirt bike rider needs.
Their overall ventilation system consists of aerodynamic setup having a wind tunnel and the consistent air flow to keep the inner cool enough to keep the moisture away. The front intake tunnels combine with the back venting tunnels to keep the air flowing continuously and keep the head cool and dry.
The Max Dry liner are removable and are capable of absorbing the moisture and can be cleaned easily after use.
It comes with the variable sizes of shell and inserts to offer a high-quality snug fit and a well molded interior to provide a comfortable and customizable interior to match the needs of the wearer. The Max Dry insert helps in keeping the interior dry and comfortable. In addition to that, the emergency release setup provides a special tab that is there under the cheek pads making it easily removable and replaceable according to the individual needs. Also, the sleek finished visor offers easy adjustment and removal.
- Lightweight and durable cover for better protection and easy use.
- The aerodynamic ventilation system keeps flowing a continuous channel of air for better ventilation.
- The Max Dry removable inserts also are easy to maintain and clean when needed.
- It offers a snug fit inner with sufficient comfort and ease of use.
Dirt Bike Helmet Maintenance Issues And Tips
The dirt bike helmets can many maintenance issues and those could be the damaging of the helmet’s skull and/ or the visor mainly. The inside of the helmet also shows sign of wear and tear, especially due to the sweating and improper maintenance. A number of things could be done by the user in order to ensure that your helmet stays in the best possible condition for years to come. The following are some tips to help you in this regard:
- Wear skull cap – Skullcap must always be wearing underneath the helmet. It acts as the first line of defense for the safety of your helmet. A bandana, just like skull cap would also suffice in such needs.
- Wax – Automotive wax should be applied over the shell of the helmet. It protects your helmet and greatly assists with its future cleaning as well as it prevents any dust to get stuck in the helmet’s shell. You should also note here that the wax must only be used with the gloss type helmets.
- Wipes – A pack of cleaning wipes must always be carried inside your helmet bag. As a good practice, you should wipe off your helmet with a cleaning wipe after every use.
- Visor protection – Visor in terms of maintenance is very delicate. It is advised not to scrub the visor of the helmet ever. It is because the act of scrubbing such part of the helmet would put irreversible scratches over it. This would not only make your helmet look bad but it would also affect your vision while riding a dirt bike with your helmet on.
- Airing your helmet – Never put your helmet straight inside the bag after use as in that case, it would accumulate an unpleasant odor. Try to air it by placing it in open space for some time before you pack it in a bag.
In general when a dirt bike rider has to look for the best dirt bike helmets they have many things in their mind. The first thing that is important is the overall structure and the design and the main materials with which the helmet is made of. today’s most needed helmet is made of carbon Kevlar composite structure that offers complete safety and protection against the pressure and dirt to which the riders are exposed to.
In the list of best dirt bike helmets that we have listed here, most of them match the needs of the dirt bike users that include moisture free inner with a proper ventilation system, cheek and forehead protection, well-designed chin guard and front protection and the removable as well as comfortable helmet liners.
All these qualities are there in the selected items we have sorted here. But among all these, we can say that the Bell Moto-9 Off Road Helmet is the best of its kind that offers, high-quality safety, comfortable inner and easy maintenance as well.
Other helmets also have their own unique features and you can surely have a look onto them to compare the features and get the one that suits you to protect you from dirt and damages and let you enjoy the sport in a daring way!